Traveling is a wonderful thing. Unfortunately, our finances do not always allow it, and especially during a downturn in the economy, it can be almost impossible to get away from it all and take a break.
However, with some careful planning and a good firm eye on your budget, you can indeed travel even if your budget is not too big.
Here are five useful budget travel tips and advice that may come in handy when you are traveling on a budget.
– Do not underestimate the so-called “extras”. Tips, tickets for museums, drinks at the hotel bar and lots of other “hidden” costs will all add up and may prove to be a shocking discovery for you when you go home and see your credit card bill!
– Information, information, information! This is perhaps the most important budget travel advice that one can get. Do your research about the country you are visiting before you get there. For some, this is half the fun of traveling but for travelers who may be more “adventurous” this may be perceived as taking away the spontaneity of travel. Some travelers love to just go to a place and figure out everything on the spot. While this can be fun too, if you are traveling on a budget it is best if you know enough information on the best cheap eats in the location, smartest way to travel, etc. This tip alone has the potential to save you lots and lots of money.
– Always remember to budget some additional funds just in case you need them. There is nothing scarier than being stranded in a foreign country without any money!
– Use your common sense. If you are on a tight budget, do not succumb to the temptation of buying that “must have” pair of shoes and do not go crazy with souvenir buying either. A nice practical souvenir that you can use when you are back home is much better then some tacky souvenir that you are just going to put in a drawer and never use.
– Look out for the free places of interest that the country you are visiting has. Every destination has its own list of free things to do. If you plan ahead, you can integrate as many “free things” as you wish in your travel itinerary. These will keep your spending down and you will still have a great time!